Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change my schedule once the semester has started?

Adding or dropping a course:
Once the semester has started students have the option to change their schedules (add/drop courses) through the first week of the semester. (Specific dates can be found on the College’s Academic Calendar). Dropping a course during the add/drop period allows a student to drop an academic course with no academic record. However, dropping a course may impact your Financial Aid status so students are encouraged to speak with an advisor and the Financial Aid office prior to dropping a course if they are receiving Financial Aid.

Add/Drop Forms can be obtained at the Registrar's Office or at the Advising Center.

To Drop a course: You may drop a course through your Campus Web account or sign an Add/Drop form and submit it to the College’s Registrar’s Office. No other signatures are needed.

To Add a Course: If the course has not yet met and there are open seats available – you may add the course to your schedule through your Campus Web account or at the Registrar’s Office. If the course has met at least one time, you must also obtain the signature of the professor for the course you want to add. Then submit the Add/Drop form to the College’s Registrar’s Office.

If I have to withdraw from a course or all of my courses what are my options?

Withdrawing from a course:
Students have the option to withdraw from a course(s) after the add/drop period through a date specified on the academic calendar (usually up to the 10th week of the fall or spring semester). Students that withdraw from a course(s) during this time period will receive a grade of “W” on their transcript. These grades have no impact on a student’s GPA. However, withdrawing from a course may impact a student’s financial aid benefits. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to speak with their advisor and the Financial Aid office prior to withdrawing from a course.

Withdrawing from the College:
Students have the option to withdraw from all of their courses up to the last day classes are held in a given semester. Students must complete and sign a Withdrawal Form which can be obtained from the Advising Center. The withdrawal form must then be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Medical Withdrawal from the College:
Students have the option to seek a medical withdrawal from the College at any point in the semester. Medical withdrawals require documentation from your medical provider stating that you are unable to attend classes. The last day a student may submit a medical withdrawal is 30 days after the end of a given semester.

Enrollment Status

How many credits are considered "full time"?
Students must be enrolled in a minimum of twelve (12) or more credits per semester to be considered a full time student.

Matriculated Students: Students who have completed all application requirements, been accepted to the College, selected a program of study and have registered for courses as either a part-time or full-time student.

Non-Matriculated Students: Students who have not completed all application requirements but have registered for courses as either a part-time or full-time student.

Can I enroll in courses without an advisor signing the Course Selection Worksheet?
All matriculated students are required to meet with their assigned academic advisor prior to registering for courses. Once a student has met with their advisor they may register for any course they have met the prerequisite for. However, we encourage students to discuss courses options with their advisor.

Course Information

What is the difference between Developmental Education (DE) courses and college-level courses?
Students who test below college-level in Reading, Writing and Math on their College Placement Tests (CPT) will be required to take DE courses to strengthen their academic readiness for college-level course work. Grades earned on DE courses are not factored into a student’s CGPA) or count towards graduation. But they are counted in factoring a student’s enrollment status for example; if a student is taking three college-level courses and one DE math course – they are considered a fulltime student enrolled in 12 credits but they will only earn 9 credits towards graduation. DE courses are covered by Financial Aid.

What are General Education courses?
All students enrolled in a degree program will be required to complete a core group of courses called general education courses that include courses from the following disciplines; English, Humanities & Fine Arts, Behavioral & Social Sciences, Math and Natural Sciences. Students are encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor to review the general education and program requirements for their selected degree. To view a current list of General Education courses please visit our website at this link…

What are Free Elective credits?
Free elective credits are earned by completing any college-level course offered at the college. Courses taken to satisfy General Education requirements may not count towards your Free Elective credit.

How can I challenge a course or get credit for prior learning?
A student who wishes to earn college credit for lifetime experiences by demonstrating proficiency in the content of a course may request a 'course challenge' through an established policy. For more information, please refer to the College Catalog.

What is a syllabus?
A course syllabus is in essence a contract between the faculty instructor and the student in the course. The syllabus outlines the expectations and requirements the instructor expects from student enrolled in his/her course. It is critical that students have a copy of the course syllabus for each course they are enrolled in and understand all of the requirements of the course such as; reading assignments, papers due, test dates, attendance policy, class participation, grade calculation and classroom etiquette. Students are strongly encouraged to refer to the syllabus and check off each assignment as they complete it.

Program of Study, Concentrations and Degree/Certificate Requirements

What is a Program of Study?
A Program of Study is the selection by the student of an area of study. Students should refer to their Program of Study when selecting courses.

What is an Academic Map?
An Academic Map is a semester by semester pathway that students will follow to successfully complete degree requirements and graduate. It will be used as the student’s default pathway. Academic Maps are based upon full-time enrollment for two years. Part-time students will work with an academic advisor to determine alternative plans that might include additional semesters, summer courses, or another alternative plan that fits your goals.

Academic Maps are found within the College Catalog. Students follow the Academic Map for the catalog year they entered CCCC and/or submitted a Change of Program request.


What is the difference between an Associate in Arts degree and an Associate in Science degree?
An Associate in Arts degree provides students the option to choose from a variety of concentrations such as Psychology, History, Communication, and many others (to view the full list click here.) The College provides a list of suggested courses for each AA degree concentration that will help prepare students to transfer and earn a baccalaureate degree in this area at a student university or private college.

An Associate in Science degree provides students the option to choose from a variety of degree/career paths such as; Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Marketing, Hospitality, Information Technology and many others (to view the full list click here.) Students enrolled in AS degrees must complete all required courses within the degree. While students can transfer on for a baccalaureate degree – most AS degrees are preparing students to enter the workforce. The exception to this is the AS Business Transfer degree which prepares students for transfer into a business program at a state university or private college.

A certificate is a cluster of courses usually consisting of about 16–29 credits. Students may opt for a certificate program to add additional skills/knowledge to advance in their current work position or to gain knowledge so they can apply for an entry level position. In many cases credit earned in a certificate can also be used to fulfill course/credit requirements in a degree program. We encourage you to speak with your advisor to see if a certificate is right for you.

Do I need to follow the exact sequence of courses listed under my A.A. concentration?
Not necessarily. The College Catalog provides students with a list of suggested sequences courses by semester for the Associate in Arts Degrees. Students may enroll in any course as long as they meet the prerequisites for those courses.

What kind of jobs can I get with my concentration/major?
Refer to the Career Planning webpage.

Is there help available if I do not know what career or major I want to pursue?
Yes. For more information go to the Career Planning webpage.

Can I change my degree program?
YES!! To change your concentration or degree program you must meet with your advisor and submit a Change of Program form (signed by your advisor) to the Registrar’s Office. Students should be aware that in some cases changing their program may mean that previously earned credit may not apply to your new degree program.

How long will it take me to complete my program and graduate?

Graduation is not determined by the length of time or number of semesters a student attends. Many students believe that since we are a “two-year” college that they will automatically graduate if they attend for two years. While this is certainly possible – only those students who earn a GPA of 2.0 or higher, complete all of their required courses and credits (not counting any developmental courses) – will graduate within two years.

For example, the Associate in Arts degree requires the completion of 35 general education credits (eleven courses) and an additional 25 free elective credits (about nine courses). Therefore, a student seeking an AA degree must take five college-level courses per semester (15 or more credits) for four consecutive semesters, complete all required general education courses and their free elective credit for a total of 60 credits to graduate in two years. However, most students opt to enroll in less than 15 credits a semester and/or need Developmental Education courses so their graduation date will not be reached within two years unless they take CLEP test(s), or complete summer and/or intersession courses.

Students are encouraged to develop an educational plan with their advisor in their first semester so they understand all degree requirements and the timeline for their anticipated graduation date. And remember to complete an Intent to Graduate form when you register for courses in your last semester.

What does my Academic Standing mean and how is it calculated?

Academic Standing
A student’s academic standing is determined by the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) required to meet minimum academic standards based on the student’s credit count of courses successfully completed at Cape Cod Community College as outlined below.

Hours Earned
Towards GPA
Good Academic
Placed on Academic ReviewProbation
9–15GPA is 2.0 or aboveGPA is between 1.50–1.99GPA is below 1.50
16–24GPA is 2.0 or aboveGPA is between 1.75–1.99GPA is below 1.75
25+GPA is 2.0 or aboveN/AGPA is below 2.00


Good academic standing
All students with a GPA of 2.00 or above are considered to be in Good Academic Standing.

Academic Review
A student is placed on Academic Review when their CGPA falls below 2.0 but above the probationary level listed on the table above. Students on Academic Review will receive a letter from the Registrar’s Office informing them of their academic Status. Student on Review are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to discuss strategies to raise their GPA.

Academic Probation
A student is placed on Academic Probation if his/her CGPA falls below the designated Probation threshold associated with the HGPA as listed in the table above. Students have two semesters of attendance to raise their CGPA to a level above Probation. Students on Academic Probation will be notified in writing by the Registrar’s Office and are required to meet with an academic advisor every semester before registering for classes in order to create a plan including tutoring, strategic course selection, and other changes in study habits.

Academic Dismissal
A student who has not raised his/her CGPA above Probation after two semesters of attendance will be dismissed for one calendar year. Students will be notified in writing by the Registrar’s Office and may consider the Academic Appeals Procedure described in the Student Handbook online at After one year of inactive status, a student may return and will be placed on Probation or the student may choose to take advantage of the Fresh Start Option.

Available Help

Who is my Advisor? How can I contact him/her?
All matriculated students are assigned an academic advisor or assigned to the Advising Center. Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor whenever needed.

Students may find out who their advisor is by clicking on CampusWeb and typing in their username and password. Then click on the Academics Tab and then on My Advisor. Your advisor's name and contact information will appear.

What can I do if I am struggling or not passing my courses?
The College has a variety of academic support services to assist students. Academic Support Services include tutoring, a writing resource center, a mathematics resource center and the O'Neill Center for Student Access and Support.

Does CCCC provide accommodations for students with special needs?
Yes. Students with special needs should contact the O'Neill Center for Student Access and Support.


What courses will transfer into Cape Cod Community College?
See: Transfer Credits

What courses will transfer out of Cape Cod Community College?
Refer to the Transfer website.


How many credits do I need to receive Financial Aid?
Refer to the Financial Aid section of the College's website.

What about health insurance?"
Refer to the Business Office section of the College's webpage.


Can I repeat the Computerized Placement Test?
Students may repeat the Computerized Placement Test once. Contact the Testing Center for information and scheduling.

What is the CLEP test?
The CLEP (College Level Examination Program) offers 34 exams that will award college credit to those who perform well on them. For more information, contact the Testing Center: 774.330.4543.

Have other questions? Contact the Advising Center:

Location: Grossman Commons Building – C203
Phone: 774.330.4318

Grossman Commons, 2nd floor, C-203
(above the book store)

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am–4:30pm
Wednesday: 8:30am–7:00pm

Phone: 774.330.4318

Fax: 508.375.4103


Advising services are available on Martha's Vineyard

Learn more …